Monday, June 11, 2018

From the Archives…

Last Thursday I was asked to accompany my seniors to a client meeting in Indiranagar to observe and learn. My first client meeting coincidentally ended up being held at a residence that was one of the first few designed by Sandarbh.


I observed the discussions for a project in the future as we sat in a home that had been completed some seventeen years ago. Luckily, before we left I was able to get permission to go around the house. One entered into the house through the foyer at ground level. On the left of the foyer was the dining space while a curved staircase on the right led you up to a mezzanine seating. The light filtering through stained glass lit up the entire space with colours and patterns. This got me to look up and I realized an entire portion of the ceiling was resting on nothing but one wall. This suspended portion of the structure then became the base for the stained glass clerestory. Another set of stairs went up to the more private part of the house that contained the study and the bedrooms. From that level we could see another spiral staircase going up, disappearing behind the stained glass.



Back in the office, I looked through the archives and found a few sketches and a model. I insisted that Sai walk us through the design process. With the model at hand we were better able to visualize the complexity of spaces and the role light had to play in the design of the house. However, the model did no justice to the gorgeous stained glass panels that had been installed at site.



Overall, the house embodied an interesting play of levels, precariously suspended ceilings as well as the awe-inspiring stained glass clerestory. Familiarizing myself with the house after the meeting only made me more excited and I feel hopeful that the new design is going to be even bolder than the last.

Stay tuned and we’ll find out together!

-Mannat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...