Friday, May 4, 2018

What language does your subconscious speak in?

"What language does your subconscious think in?" Sai asked us in general. Drashti had no clue, Leena and Anirudh said English. I thought about the last time I was asked  the same question. I had ended up thinking of this for days and days until I figured out mine was English too. There is probably a lot more to think - the language is just a starting point to understand your subconscious. 

Each of our design instincts are derived by our subconscious. And just like the language the subconscious speaks in, each decision the subconscious takes is evolved over the experiences that happens over our lifetime. It's probably why experienced architects take less effort developing their designs. They have basically taken time to understand and train their subconscious to understand the client's needs. Who would be better than a child to design a room for a child? But thinking about it, I don't really need to be a child to design for a child. All I needed to do was to take the effort to imagine being one. I needed to meet people, and not just meet - consiously take the effort to understand their fears, their aspirations and train myself to understand the emotion behind the words. 

Sai elaborated to Drashti about using the subconscious to step in the client's shoes and imagine like the balcony she was designing was being used by her .  

But out of nowhere, another question rose in my head -
The subconscious has a negative too. My fear of stairs may be projected in my staircase design. I would probably cage my stairs in grills if I had to design one for myself.

 How do you get over that?

2 comments:

  1. Ananya, its an interesting question that you end with. But have you thought that irrespective of the fact that you are aware or not your subconscious is what would form your bias. The reason you need to develop an awareness is precisely for this reason without purging our bias we are never to able to hear clearly. And maybe when you get in touch with your subconscious you may be able to overcome your fears too? - Sai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that probably would make sense. How do you get over your fear without learning about them?

    ReplyDelete

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...