Friday, June 29, 2018

4 weeks at Sandarbh : Dhruvi

Not wasting any time, let's get right into Sandarbh from Dhruvi's point of view...

Me: Hi Dhruvi! To begin with, I’m going to ask you to introduce yourself to all our readers
Dhruvi: Hello. I’m Dhruvi and I’m from Gujarat. I enjoy creative ventures, mostly things that catch people’s eyes like photography or composing images. I’m a quiet person in general. I observe things around me and think a lot but don’t really say much.

Me:  So you were actually the first of the interns to join this semester. What were your first thoughts when you got to office?
Dhruvi: I actually didn’t have any expectations to begin with. I had no idea how an office functions. The first day at work, I was the only intern and there was a meeting scheduled for that evening.  Everyone around me was getting blasted and I was very confused and scared. I was in a new city, around new people. It takes time to settle in and I just hoped that things would get better.

Me: All the commotion on Day 1 didn’t seem to freak you out too much. How were the next few days after that?
Dhruvi: I was the only intern for the first two days and then more people started joining. This definitely made me feel more comfortable. My interactions with Sai were eye opening. It really helped me understand how things are meant to be done and how they aren’t meant to be done. The first week at work I was on the design team. I was working on resolving a residence which was very interesting at first but after 2-3 days I started feeling stuck. Every discussion with Sai led to me discovering something new. I kept working through it and discussing it till we felt the design had reached a certain level.

Me: Isn’t that when Sai noticed your affinity for good compositions and asked you to work on the website? What was that like?
Dhruvi: I loved working on the website. It’s something that I could actually do forever. The alignment, the colors, the overall harmony – I really enjoy these things. Along with the website I also started working on the documentation of some of our old projects, creating portfolios using the existing information. Before this I was quite weak at softwares but as I’ve been working I feel like I’m learning and improving.



Me: So, are there any other fields where you’ve seen an improvement in the past month? What has your overall experience been like?
Dhruvi: Like I said earlier, before this I had no idea what an architectural office is like. During my one month here, I have learnt a lot about the different processes in architecture. I might not have had a chance to do everything, but I’m more aware now. By the end of the internship I would really like to excel at one thing – but I’m not sure what that one thing would be, only time will tell. For now I can say that my writing has improved. Submitting a daily journal has helped me explore writing as a form of expression and I hope I will keep getting better at this.

Me: That’s interesting. I guess a lot can change in a time span as short as a month! Any parting words for our readers?
Dhruvi: I just want to be able to do things that I enjoy and to enjoy whatever I do!

-Mannat
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...