Sunday, July 22, 2018

Deliberate designs, deliberate details

I have reached a point where my bed feels like an extension of my body. I'm lying here in recovery mode, preparing myself for work tomorrow - both physically and mentally. The only view that I have in this process is that of my room door and the loft above it. I'm now noticing how the beading of the loft doesn't align with that of the cupboard creating a weird joint or how the tower bolt on the door seems like so much of an afterthought. I don't know if it's the amount of time I've spent staring at it this afternoon, willing myself to do something, or if it's just that I've become more observant in the past 2 months to notice these things (Personally I'd bet on the latter).
I remember in the first couple of weeks we were having a discussion in office about details. A bunch of us were sitting around Sai's table and he asked us to turn around and look at the door. We turned looking at it, blank looks etched across our faces, not sure what we were looking at. He then emphasized that we look at the architrave and the tower bolt. We looked on, still unsure of what it was that we were to notice. He then asked us to imagine the same door without the tower bolt just stuck onto the the door and the top part of it cut into the architrave. And suddenly it made a lot more sense. Imagine if the same thing  had been thought about before, the placement and the detailing a deliberate effort. How interesting would a concealed tower bolt be, the protruding mechanism treated as a design feature, both aesthetic and functional? He then explained to us how every decision that we take right from the space planning to the detailing needs to be deliberate. Nothing should be left to chance (a philosophy that you guys will notice is also starting to show up in our processes at work) And so I lie in bed hoping that from tomorrow I too can implement this - every action of mine deliberate, nothing left to chance!

-Mannat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...