Friday, July 20, 2018

Commitment-phobia?

I have always had issues commiting to things in the long term. There have been many things that I've started off but never really seen to completion (Ask my mom and she will tell you most of these things involve cleaning my room). Or I'd be super dedicated to something and then I'll just discontinue for some odd reason- like classical dance for instance. 8 years of training and then I kind of just stopped. I'll pick up a new interest like candle making, make a few candles, go for a class or two and then again fall back into the whole cycle of not pursuing it further. When it comes to things that spread over a period of time, I certainly have issues commiting.
This is one of the main reasons why I was so keen on the project 365 with blogging. I took up the idea of blogging everyday not as a commitment but rather as a challenge. A challenge to see if I could commit to something. There have been days when it comes pretty easily - an eventful day in office, an interesting conversation or just something that randomly strikes me. But then there are days when you don't know what to write or don't particularly feel like writing. I've had instances where I've made it with a blog at  11:59 p.m., barely just keeping up with the one blog a day agenda. I'm trying my best of keep up with it though.
Some time back we had seen a video in office highlighting the 7 habits of effective artists (those of you who have read the blog on 'Inspirations' would be familiar with this. If not, you can read it right here). One of the habits was making time to practice everyday. Everyday need not be a fully complete drawing, even a single line on paper counts. It's the intent of actually practicing everyday that makes a difference. Once that first line is drawn, it always turns out to be more than just that. This blog is my equivalent of that line on paper. It's the kind of day when I have a few ideas in my head but none seem to be translating into words. In any other case I'd be very tempted to give up- how does one day make any difference right? But it does. And so here I am writing, for a change not to express my views or someone's else's perspectives or to describe an interesting element of architecture or even to share with you guys things that I'm picking up on along my journey. Today I'm writing only to get over my fear of commiting to something!

-Mannat

2 comments:

  1. Mannat, it makes me very proud to see the commitment you have shown both towards the blog and almost every other task that has been given to you at work. At times it is difficult for me to believe that you are still just a student, because of the maturity and grace with which you handle everything. If i see a flaw in you, it is that you are very hard on yourself most of the time. I hope while working with us, you will learn to appreciate yourself the way all of us at sandarbh do!! You are a rockstar!! keep it up!!
    Best Wishes
    Sai!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sai, Thank you so much for the appreciation. The faith that everyone at Sandarbh has shown in me and my work, means a lot to me. I see a change in myself already and I hope that as the journey continues, I keep changing for the better (including being a little more easy on myself)
      Looking forward to more days at work, making more memories and writing more blogs too.
      -Mannat

      Delete

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...