Thursday, August 16, 2018

Excess baggage?

As an architect you always need to be a 100% invested in the job. Invested to the design, invested to the site and invested towards the client. But where do you draw the line with this investment? This is a question I'm contemplating today. It's been a long day for me and not one of the best days to be honest. Like I mentioned in my blogs over the past couple of days, sometimes the end result is not what was desired. When you speak to a client who is feeling worked up regarding the progress on site how do you put yourself in their shoes and yet be detached from it at the same time? How do you empathize and yet look at it as an outsider whose sole aim is to get the job done? How do you decide how much to feel and when to shut it off? When does a client's emotional baggage become excess baggage for you as an architect?

I'm still figuring out the approach to a situation like this. I as a person find myself too be extremely emotional but I'm trying to position myself in a manner where rationality and emotion are kept apart - even if they're two sides of the same coin. Today I allowed my emotions to overwhelm my processes of rational thinking. It was definitely a step back in my progress towards becoming a successful architect. But then again I understand that it is these experiences that pave the way to betterment. Tomorrow will be a new day, a day where I hope to still empathize with my client but at the same time use these feelings to fuel an efficient approach to site work. Tomorrow I won't just feel but rather put these feelings into action. What feels like excess emotional baggage today will hopefully drive me tomorrow, towards better results!


-Mannat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...