Saturday, March 17, 2018

Accepting Criticism

Recently I was given a design problem, i.e. something I have been waiting for ever since I joined Sandarbh! I had great ideas about it. But soon I realized there was a lot I needed to consider before execution these ideas of mine.

Getting a negative feedback can be hard. Even though you are willing you accept it negative feedbacks are hard to take, especially if it’s about something you created. You feel like a part of you is being criticized. You are emotionally invested. Your body tightens, it’s suddenly hot and there is a knot forming in your throat. And you can feel yourself get defensive. Once you get slammed it feels like a pile of bricks have fallen on your face. In such situations our first reaction is to either fight or flight. We get defensive and start to argue or we avoid the conversation all together and go in denial.

You not only learn through your mistakes but by someone pointing out your mistakes and telling you where you went wrong. So when I failed to design a simple house, something I learnt in the first year of my architectural education. It made me realize, just how important those long discussions with my teachers and jurors were! Those blatant criticism and brainstorming.

It is important to know in our line of field (or any other for that matter) it is very important we get critical feedback over and over again. That is the only way to look at your design with new eyes and gain a new perspective all together.

The best ones are able to process and work past any negative feelings and look at the whole situation critically. Implore your work and evaluate the moment instead of feeling bad about it. Get the maximum value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...