Thursday, September 6, 2018

First Time Around

One of my favorite parts about being an architect is to make models. In fact that was one of the things that first drew me to architecture - the whole idea of something on paper being turned into a reality in space. However, as much as I enjoy model-making it has been a series of trial and errors in college. Often when I have got my models laser cut, I've got the result that I have wanted. Other times, there have been a few pieces that I didn't account for, or pieces that didn't particularly fit the way I wanted them to. In times like this my father would often tell me that I need to plan better, that a little more thought and time could have prevented the failed attempts.
This is something that I have found to be true not just in the domain of making models but even in the real life construction of buildings. A little thought, planning and preparation goes a long way. Sai often insists that it's better to take another day to plan everything and make arrangements for a particular task on site that to rush into things. After all, it's easier and more efficient to do things right the first time around. In most cases, coming back to rectify things later results in both double the time and the effort.
This is another one of those principles that we're putting in place now. For a task to be scheduled certain pre-requisites have to be met on site. The drawings have to be ready and approved, material has to be on site atleast two days in advance and all arrangements in terms of tools and machinery have to be made. Only with all of this in place can the task proceed. In the moment, it may seem like a hindrance but in the long term it's better to get it right the first time around!


-Mannat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...