Sunday, September 30, 2018

Sculpt : The Conclusion

It started out as a simple conversation about sculpture and bringing it back as something that we do at Sandarbh. From that has emerged a Ganesha sculpture that now adorns the entrance to the workshop. The process as a whole was interesting - from prototypes made in soap to Ganpati himself emerging in the stone (You can read more about this journey here) I got the chance to have a word with Nikhil about his personal experience through the sculpting. Read on to know more...

" The starting of the process was the toughest part I feel. When I saw a picture of the stone that I would be carving, I didn't realise the scale of it. big or heavy it would be. It was really hard to get the stone in the jeep and bring it back to the workshop. Things started to get easier after that. This was the first time that I was using the angle grinder and it made carving a lot easier. My initial thought was that the whole process would be pretty fast, much faster than it actually ended up being. Pappu was very helpful throughout the whole experience. He was patient with me even as I found my groove of carving in stone. There was a point when I was facing issues with the proportions and I felt rather discouraged. Sai intervened and suggested that I reduce the sizes of the legs. As I worked with his advice, my confidence returned and I wanted to finish the sculpture, giving it my all. Once or twice the people walking by the workshop also stopped and complimented the work in progress. It felt really good. I'm very happy with the final product!"





-Mannat



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...