Saturday, October 27, 2018

Striving to Sketch

I have previously spoken about the basic skills that one must possess as an architect and sketching really is an important part of the skillset (Read more about the other skills here). Before this I never ever thought I could sketch and so it was something that I never even attempted to do. I always enjoyed watching others sketch and I'm alway in awe at the end products Nikhil, Akshay and Clarence deliver (occasionally feeling slightly envious too).
Today at one point my brain felt fried - I guess working on excel and estimates for 2 days straight had that effect on me. I desperately needed a change and decided to finally give sketching a shot. The first attempt wasn't so much sketching as it was tracing over a plan that Nikhil had sketched out. The end result was definitely not comparable with Nikhil's but I made two interesting discoveries in the process - 1. I can actually sketch to some extent and 2. I really really enjoyed it. 
Feeling slightly more confident I asked Nikhil to give me something a little more challenging to trace over - bad idea! While a basic plan or section was something I could replicate, a view turned out to be too much for me. Still rather than feeling dejected I decided to try my hand at simpler things first and build it up slowly. Nikhil then insisted that I actually sketch and not just trace. I tried out a simple isometric of the cabinet right next to our table and the results weren't so bad either. I have been converted from someone who had sworn off sketching as something I can't do to someone who is working to slowly and steadily develop the skill. I'm quite excited to see where this goes in the meantime here are some of Nikhil's sketches for you guys to see what my inspiration was...











-Mannat  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...