Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Who is the architect?

It's sometimes fun to get into the crowd and check the type of roles that architects play in various fields.

The first architect I came across as a kid worked in a mall, as a part of it's management team. She overlooked the art installations, the decor and the layouts for the exhibitions held at the mall.  But this, in my point of view was not an architect's job. I carried the same idea even as I entered college. Here, I could see the other architects in and around college working in fields related to, but not exactly things I would call architecture.

Step into Sandarbh, and I was assigned a specific role within the office. It wasn't similar to the roles other architects who joined along with me was assigned - but i couldn't decide which one of it was 'architecture'. As I continued on the journey of discovering architecture, I found things different. Roles were divided, people did one part of the whole. Each role was important, each role had a purpose - that's when I realized, it was all architecture.

A couple of days back, I worked as a part of a team organizing Olam - a creatively curated market set in Trivandrum. As it turns out, the group was one filled with Architects.  realize that there is nothing Architects is meant to do or not do. I met architects who are graphic designers, I met Architects writing history books for their firms, I met Architects who live their life teaching NATA students how to get into architecture. I met project managers - where the projects were not necessarily buildings.
Architecture teaches us the broad set of life skills - design buildings or design logos - all that architecture teaches you is how to go about it. 

So what is your role as an architect?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...