Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Childhood

As a part of a site visit to a under construction residence today, we ended up having a long discussion with the client about the kids bedroom we had designed for the house. As a part of the discussion little details of the space led to various narrations of how the little kids would use the space. These narrations almost made me want to go back to being a kid all over again. 

When I go back and think about the bedroom I used as a kid, what I remember from it are the posters and paintings that you would find covering any blank wall in the room. I had used all the space I could get in showing my passion and creative skills. It's still feels nostalgic thinking about this.And when I talk to Sulu and Harshitha about the same, I realise that everyone has their own fond memories of the space they used during their childhood. 

I guess it is this emotion that drives the design for any kids bedroom. The effort is to make these memories extremely fun for the kids. So we design the rooms with interesting spaces and multiple levels.  In Linu's residence for example, the kid's bedroom is one of the most fun space in the whole house. The mezzanine which is the sleeping space is at a higher level than the rest of the room and is accessed with a ladder and is attached to a hammock which covers the rest of the room. I can imagine the kids never wanting to get off the hammock. Atleast I wouldn't want to. A swing is attached to the bottom of the mezzanine. I can imagine fun sleepovers, cozy nooks and a space they would love to be in. 

What more do the kids need?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...