Friday, November 16, 2018

Perspectives from Sandarbh : Ananya - Part 2

Ananya's first day at work was interesting to say the least. I'm going to jump right into her narration of Day 1 at Sandarbh. Here goes...

" So, my first day of work was actually the first time I was going to the office. I had applied when I was in Kuwait and the selection process took place entirely over the phone and email. So there had been no physical interview, I had never met Sai and had no idea of what the office looked like. Harshitha had joined just a little bit before me and was the only one I had spoken to. When I asked her about the office, she described it as a 'cute' place and that's all. I got here just the day before I had to join office. I went to check out the apartment. That's when I met Harrshitha. They were organising a small office party and she asked me if I'd like to join her to go get the beer. My initial reaction was like 'No, why should I go for an office party even before I have started working?' I didn't end up going. 
So the next morning I reach here and I had no idea if it was like a proper firm or a house. I got to the location and called Sai up telling him I was at a house called Sharada. He told me that's the one and told me to come in. Turns out there was nobody else in the office at that time. Sai's table was littered with beer bottles and the office and garage (which looked very different back then) were in a bit of a post-party mess and Sai was trying to clear all of this up. Simply standing around was kind of awkward and I asked if I could help him but he was all like 'No, no, I've got this'. After this slightly unusual first encounter with the boss, Sai told me to make myself comfortable and told me he would be back soon. Atom and Coco were there and before heading upstairs Sai told me not to pet them too much as they had a tendency to become too friendly. So, I'm all alone in office with the two dogs for company, looking around at the books and that's when Ally comes in. She was carrying a cat (I'm not sure if it was Spice or Bella). She introduced me to all the pets telling me about them. She introduced me to Spice and told me that he was 3 months old. Curious, I asked about Atom's age. She then told me that Atom also came when Spice did. I was rather surprised coz Atom was quite large for a dog who would be 3 months old. But Ally kept insisting that these dogs grow to be very large. I had a friend in college and he also had a Great Dane - he kept talking about how huge the dog is. I've never had a dog and hearing these two stories from Ally and my friend, I just believed it. After this Harshitha came in and then Rambo did and the day went on. Sai had a conversation with me and told me to hang around, familiarise myself with the work. Towards the evening, we were all having a conversation and somewhere through that Atom comes up to me. I was just like, "He's quite a big dog for only 3 months old" and Sai's immediate response was like, "3 months old??? WHAT?" Everybody had quite a good laugh at my expense but in my defense Ally was the one who told me and she was rather convincing. That was pretty much how my first day at Sandarbh went..."



While hearing this whole event, I simply could not keep a straight face. But I'm sure it definitely makes for a memorable first day and Ananya sure remembers it in vivid detail!


-Mannat 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...