Thursday, February 15, 2018

Flexible Office Space

My office for this day has turned out to be the airport. Being in a fortunate position as I am, I got the fabulous option of working from different spaces. Probably even write about these spaces. 

So Airports


It is really fun to sit in a corner in an airport and observe people running around. It is like an elaborate railway station with extra security. Except for the good-looking pilots (admit it, every single one of us peasants turn around when one of those show up, and they do so very often) and overpriced beverages there isn’t much difference. 


There is a general belief amongst architects that airports need to be a space showing the fellow travelers the collective beauty of the city they have landed upon. But instead, it just ends up being a cheap copy of the same, with big franchises gulping commercial spaces and little nooks left for maybe a plastic flex of a regional dance form.


Ah! But alas! Who cares about context? In the 21st century everything is about the international style, or rather the lack of style internationally. 


Don’t all airports look like the same Charlie Foxtrot? 


I’ll tell you what I do like about the airport, (apart from the pilots I mentioned earlier).


Flying.


I love flying. Or instead, I love the phase before the flying, the silence before the storm when the plane is positioning itself on the runway standing still in anticipation of taking off. 

Then it starts. Slowly at first. Like dipping its feet nimbly before diving. And suddenly the propellers propel, the thrusters thrust and you are pushed back on your seat as the steel seal gains speed, faster… faster… FASTER! Until finally it leaves the Earth aiming for the zenith. 
Once it is above the clouds, everything is silent… there is nothing to do but sit and stare at the no smoking light above you. And at that moment, mid-air becomes a perfect space for work. 

Speaking of office space. Not being tied to a simple desk to work on, maybe a boon as well as a bane at the same time. So maybe I will leave you guys with a question this time as I go.


If I take work back home with myself. Work that I don’t entirely hate but actually enjoy. Is it still considered a holiday? Am I still working?


Can I do this more often? XD


This was your friendly blogger Shreya, 


Reporting 32000 ft from the earth.


Signing out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...