Sunday, July 1, 2018

4 weeks at Sandarbh : Purva

You know the drill. This one is all about Purva...

Me: Hi Purva! We would like to begin by introducing you to our readers
Purva: Hi everyone. Purva this side from Vadodara, Gujarat. I come from a place with a very distinct culture, heritage and cuisine. I love painting, reading books. I'm an outdoor person and I enjoy any and all kinds of sports. I'm a calm person who enjoys good company but sometimes I also like to be on my own.

Me: I kind of get that from you. Even in office there are days when you are constantly working on resolving designs and interacting only with Sai, and then there are days when you're working back and forth with the rest of us interns. Tell us more about how all of these experiences have been for you
Purva: In the starting I was very confused about the kind of work I would get in office. The first assignment I got was to design a residence from scratch. It seemed very similar to the kind of work we do in college. I started designing with that thought in mind. But as I kept having discussions with Sai, I realised how wrong my thinking was. The more we thought about the design practically, the better it kept getting. I definitely feel like I understand the process of design better now. In our office discussions I also feel like I've learnt more about life, small things have also made a big impact on me. Even workwise I've learnt a lot, like for example when we learnt about sketchup. A simple concept of groups and components when applied made the software speed so much better. These one on one design discussions with Sai and the overall discussions in office went on for about two weeks. Then I also moved into working in other aspects of the job like site co-ordintation, verndor interactions etc. Going out to site has been one of my most favourite days uptil now. This gave me more exposure to overall how things are done in this field.

Me: So, tell us more about your day on site. Why is it your favourite?
Purva: This is my first office experience and also my first exposure to sites. I had a good time observing each and every minute detail of construction and analysing it. I personally found it easy to work with the people on site but then again this has been my own and only site experience till now. I hope I get more opportunities to visit sites, handle them and learn from them.

Me: Seems like you're quite comfortable with being on site. Is designing an equally comfortable experience for you? Was there ever any time when you felt stuck while resolving a design? What did you do then?
Purva: Yeah. Many times to be honest. I feel like the solutions to these times lies in making multiple options and looking at the issue from various perspectives. Sometimes the few options I would create would be similar, just tweaking around a few things, other times it would be a design that would be completely different. But from this process of trial and error a final solution definitely comes out.

Me: Any last word for our readers?
Purva: To sum up, I feel like design and architecture are all about going with the flow and following your instincts. That's how my first month of internship has been and that's how I hope the rest of it goes too!



-Mannat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathu bhai and Missile madam at Do Villa and Baara Maala

You realise how much is in a name when you are talking to one of our masons on site and they tell you that Mathu bhai has asked them to go t...